Saturday, November 10, 2012

Project 365: 81/365

I've been busy and sick for the past few days and hence the daily life posts you've read the past few days.

Just now I wanted to blog about my ultimate rage about my convo studio photoshoot which is also a bit pointless because it's a past and I'm never going back to L'unico Wedding Gallery in KK (yea I wanted people who googled it would find this TROLLOLOL) so be a lamb and hop over to Deb's post to read about it! Also because I didn't save it properly and it went missing HAHAHA or else I think I would be writing about that today.

But maybe not being able to save it is a sign that I must write about what I encountered intellectually (LOL) today and share it to you guys.

I've always been emphasizing about doing what we like and the money will come. But I read an article from Harvard Business Review's blog and it is about the things I've been talking about all these while. Do read the article over here. It is a good piece and showed me a whole new perspective but of course everybody is entitled to their own opinion about certain other things.

If you're a faithful reader of mine, you would know how my blog got its name (if you don't, just read my second post). My stand is always to encourage people to find their passion and go for it, don't worry about the money because it will come and you career can be developed over time.

But after reading the article, my perspectives and views are widen. So fellow readers below 22, READ MORE AND TRUST ME, YOU WILL GROW WISER SOMEHOW! LOL

All these while I've left out one of the most important key point. The reason how money will come and career will grow is that YOU BECOME GOOD AT DOING IT.

For example if you like history and writing, instead of being a history professor in a university, you decided to write a historical book and chase your passion. You can be a successful writer and your book will sell IF AND ONLY IF YOU ARE GOOD IN WRITING, KNOW YOUR FACTS & STUFF, AND CREATIVE (obviously. how else people gonna buy a freaking historical book and open it. LOL).

Or you just finish a boring math degree (I'm not saying math is boring, I'm just giving a context to my assumed character as an example k #timid). But you love singing so you decided to screw maths and be a singer. You can be the next superstar provided if you have an awesome talent in singing (seriously some people are just delusional), have the whole package or have a good story to tell. Otherwise you will find yourself sitting at home doing absolutely nothing but uploading singing video of yours, terrifying le internet users.

Take another example. You have absolutely no idea what to do for a living so you just try out some stuff. Eventually your skills developed first before your passion towards it. Having the skills and being good at it, makes you LOVE doing it. And of course you are paid well for doing an awesome job.

Now you get what I mean?

Having such perspective makes me feel like my thoughts about dreams and reality come tumbling down. Maybe an accounting guy who loves fashion never take the step to get involved in fashion line because he is simply terrible at it and he can never make a good career out of it(hello loving it doesn't mean good at it but this is just an shallow example). This is not about dreams and reality anymore, but more like skills and interest.

Because if you're entrepreneurial waiter (wah my context is very creative loh!), you would have applied your skills developed while you were waiting on your new business venture. You would know that you're good at starting a business when you take that step. If you know you're bad at it you would never do it right? Or you would wait for the right moment to do it.

But if you just find it hard to leave your current job to chase your passion because it pays your bills and you can enjoy a luxurious time once in a while, well that's just being greedy. And so it is not about dreams and reality, it's about being greedy or not.

Yes we can't be selfish to go for our passion without taking family's welfare into account, putting them in financial difficulties by taking a risk. But if we know what we want, we know how to achieve it, and we are good at it, it is only the matter of courage to take that leap of faith. Who said Rome can be built in one day? Who said you can be a superstar without years of training and a bit of savings to maintain your appearance? All of those need serious planning.

So dreams and reality huh?

0 wise men stood up:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Dreams and Reality
Copyright © 2012
Designed by Ipietoon
Modified by Lynn Ng