Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Project 365: 3/365

First day of work after 4 days of break! Motivation level: low. Hahaha!

Today, I want to talk about bets (fuyoh got professional speaker's style or not!). Since 24th of July I've lost countless of bets (actually countable but I'm too lazy to count my failures la obviously! why wanna make myself sad!) to people. Some of it are like stretching my arms for a period of time, whether or not polar bear hibernates (now I sound like a dumb blonde don't I T.T), and some other nonsensical ones (still lose anyway haiz). Imma improve my general knowledge and win back all the Starbucks coffee that I've treated! ROAR! #determined

So, I've been following one of the awesomest drama series ever, The Newsroom.

It talks about the professionalism of journalist and broadcasting media, about how a team of really passionate people come together to provide facts and only facts to the audience. I admire their fearlessness, not wanting to let any factors (ratings, ads, number of audience) to come into their way of bringing back the honor being in that industry.

While immersing myself into that world in The Newsroom, a part of me understand that it is probably not gonna happen in reality. The thing is, mass communication industry survive by getting investors and advertisements. Without good ratings, they'll fall apart (correct me if I'm wrong though). When the management is bearing the stressfulness of dealing with businesses or worse politics, they reflect their concerns to the people who are actually doing the shows. At the end of the day, truths are twisted and audience are constantly fed with distorted information.

Can we blame them? Definitely not. Because while they are struggling to survive, as their target audience, we like to hear what we want to hear, and see what we want to see. Ask me if I wana see sickening political news when I turn on the TV after a long tiring day, the answer is a big No No. I wana see some nice drama series, I'm interested in which artist broke up with which artist, I wana listen to some diet tips and maybe watch how to use simple ingredients to make tasty food. It is as if I am too weak to take on serious news.

As the social media's booming, we can see lots of shared post about rape cases, robbery methods, which politician is bull-shitting, which socialite is spending government's money etc. Thanks to social media, these information will no longer be distorted by any party. We are our own media!

Now, here's the question. How can you be sure what you are sharing is the truth? And how sure are you? Do you have any proof? Any official confirmation? Can you tell whether the photo is original or photoshopped? Are you aware of the influence of the post you are sharing? Does your share make any difference?

My point is, we are not professional journalist. We are just ordinary people who have opinion when we see something unfair. While we've successfully raised the awareness, we are not aware that the hateful and judgemental words that we are spreading will affect the society's dynamic. We do not know the appropriate way of expressing our opinion, resulting in getting into trouble. We are just so inadequate!

But we have the power of sharing. We can freely say how we feel about certain things and let it be heard. Wouldn't it be better if we focus on the overlooked community and help them with this power, instead of overly doing the purpose of sharing news by commenting with hateful words?

Ok let's come back to the world of rainbows and unicorns. My personal (in fact, very humble) opinion is that we can be moderate in everything we do, avoid misuing our power into doing something we never intended to do. =)

If you share the same vision as I am, I invite you to come to a casual event organized by the League of Ordinary People (LOOP) to talk about ideas and be a part of our first project. Check out this event and also our official Facebook page to know more about us. It is still in small scale but one step at a time right?

Time to call it a day! Good night! =D

0 wise men stood up:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Dreams and Reality
Copyright © 2012
Designed by Ipietoon
Modified by Lynn Ng